[Coco] Trying to find out what signal a composite adapter is using.

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Dec 11 16:26:26 EST 2011

On Sunday, December 11, 2011 04:03:42 PM Mark Ormond did opine:

> Ok, here is a link for the schematic. As for the caps used, it's what is
> on the original board.
>
> http://www.svfdtn.com/cbm/coco2comp.jpg

Humm, that is a bit convoluted, and the only way I can make any sense of it
is if the R(ed wire?) terminal is being fed with a +5 volt supply rail, at
which point the video output then is a mix, using the R1 resistor to
develop a mixed Y & G signal to the base of the 2n3904 which is functioning
as an emitter follower to drive the video output.  There is quite a bit of
high peaking going on in the series'd networks, with 2 different turnover
frequencies in that circuit connecting the emitters of the NTE123AP
transistors together.

It took some thought, and some calculator time to build this circuit
originally, and I have an idea that for a black and white composite output
to a wide band video monitor it probably works rather well, modulating the
Y signal as a function of the G signal for additional grey scale tones.  If
the G signal is the color subcarrier output, so much the better for this
circuit, but then the color separation in the monitor steals 70% of the
potential sharpness too.

If you have a wide band scope, it would be educational to look at the
signal on the G(reen wire?) to see if it has color subcarrier on it, which
would change my analysis slightly.

Interesting circuit.

For the coco's, I have always felt that the svhs style output conversion
would be a natural, where the color is never mixed into composite, but fed
to the monitor/tv as a separate signal for lumninance and a separate signal
for the chroma, thereby removing the sharpness killing color separation
circuitry from the signal path from the coco to the users eyeballs.

This one, to paraphrase the commercial, so easy even a caveman can do it.
Just buffer the two signals & send to the 4 pin jack!  Then you can watch
the sharpest color picture ever from a coco on your new 48" tv!

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The way to make a small fortune in the commodities market is to start
with a large fortune.