[Coco] Um3.init help needed

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sat Dec 10 13:22:22 EST 2011

I have looked through the tons of source code from Ultimuse3 and it seems (and I should have known) that the only real choices in programming in standard OS9 for a mouse is through the built in system calls. The choices here are regular joystick reads, Hi-res joystick interface (Bjork's I think) and the keyboard mouse (<shift clear> I think?) for using <shift-arrow> keys for a mouse then I think it it was F1 & F2 for fire buttons.
 I found some old source code for a serial mouse and was glancing through it and if yours is similar, then it uses a "driver" instead of going through the standard system calls. So the serial mouse would for the most part not be traveling the same paths as a standard mouse and unless the software specifically allows the use of the driver then the mouse will be missed (I may be wrong here, comment welcome).
 If there is support for the serial mouse within OS9's def files and C libs then Umuse3 would have to be recompiled from source with a third choice to use it. The only choices I saw in the source was standard and hi-res.
 The key-mouse in built into OS9 itself, so for now that would most likely be your best bet (to use the key-mouse). I remember when I first got Umuse3, I didn't own a mouse and I had junked my joystick to make an audio-in cable for sampling through the 6-bit DAC and I had to use the key-mouse feature and got along ok till I found one of the old "black" mouse's (mice?) on the manager's special table at "The Shack".
I will contact Mr. Knudson and see if he has any suggestions as well

Bill Pierce
ooogalapasooo at aol.com