[Coco] Lest we forget, Dec 07, 1941, 70 years ago today

James Hrubik jimhrubik at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 10 11:01:22 EST 2011

Wow.  I'm keeping that one -- thanks, John.  In fact, I'd like your
permission to use it, unaltered, and with credits.  You wouldn't
happen to have photos as well, would you?

My father-in-law was visiting family in Transylvania in late August
1939.  The State Department sent several telegrams warning him to
leave.  He delayed until September 1st, then made his way to the US
Consulate in Budapest, from where he was given an exit route to a
port from which he could sail home.  He could never tell the story
without breaking down when he came to the part where he saw the Stars
and Stripes at the doors of the Consulate.

I know that feeling, having had the pleasure of walking through the
doors of the Consulate in Calgary, and even though being in a
friendly neighboring country, being struck by the fact that I was
suddenly standing in a piece of the US of A.

My Dad served on the submarine base at Pearl from 1943-45.

Oh - yeah - on topic -- it was during my years as an alien in
Edmonton (ties in with the Consulate visit) that I bought my first
CoCo ...

On Dec 10, 2011, at 6:29 AM, John Odom wrote:

> I don.t know if the attachment will go through or not. I have
> attached the text only of a web page I used tp have that explains
> my connection with the USS Oklahoma that was sunk at Pearl. I feel
> so privileged to have known many of those men.
>
> If the attachment does not go through, email me and I can send the
> story by individual email to those that want it.
>
> John L. Odom
> Chemist/Microscopist
>

> ________________________________<Flag of freedom, text only.rtf>

| O thus be it ever, when free men shall stand                |
| Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!         |
| Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heaven-rescued land   |
| Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserved us a Nation!  |
| Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just;            |
| And this be our motto: "In GOD is our trust!"               |
| And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave          |
| O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.        |
==========National Anthem, United States of America============