[Coco] Extract an .LZH file in OS9

Dean Leiber adit at nationsdial.com
Fri Dec 9 04:27:00 EST 2011

On Dec 8, 2011, at 5:23 PM, John Orwen wrote:

> Its been way too long since I ran a dos based BBS and extracted
> files and I am brand new to Nitros9 L2 now.
> I downloaded a file from RTSI in a .lzh package to my PC and
> transfered to OS9 on my coco3 with Drivewire4.
> I tried to extract the files in it by typing LHA x filename.lzh and
> got a message [ extracting filename ], two OS9 errors and a message
> [ damaged lzh file ].  Am I doing something wrong or missing
> something.

Try opening the LZH archive on the PC and see if it will extract the
files. At least then you'll know if the archive itself is bad. It
should be noted that there was/is an incompatible archiver called
'LZH' which, at its default setting, will produce an .lzh package
that is incompatible with standard lha archivers. If that is the
problem, only LZH will be able to properly open the archive.
Fortunately, you will find very few of these 'bad' archives floating
around since the problem was discovered early on and most stopped
using the program (it would work properly if you used the proper
option tho.) People really should have the LZH archiver around just
to break the occasional 'bad' archive tho.

Dean