[Coco] Utilmuse 3 Manual

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 15:25:05 EST 2011

fwiw, if you have drivewire 4, you can play midi from coco to pc very
easily.  for examples see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frjaHLXz0co

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g721tj7VnJs

dw4 has it's own software synth that supports loading soundfont or dls
files, or can pass through to your soundcard's synth if it has one, or
can pass through to an external midi device if you have one of those.
choosing where the midi goes is as simple as clicking on the device in
a menu.

another unique feature is real time translation between instrument
mappings.  this is useful because lots of the ume files around are
encoded for specific synths that you may not have, especially the
yamaha pss480 (actually used to have one of those).

even though i don't have a pss480, or a casio 540, etc.. I can listen
to songs encoded for them on my general midi hardware by just choosing
which synth I want to translate for in a drop down menu.  dw4 then
rewrites all instrument changes sent to the closest thing general midi
offers.  the end result is usually pretty good.  the translation
profiles are plain text and you can edit them or add your own.

-Aaron