[Coco] Cloud9 Coco3 buying, best config?

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sat Dec 3 19:47:19 EST 2011

On 4/12/2011 3:33 AM, Karl S wrote:

> Hi! I wanna buy a coco3 from cloud9. I am an enthousiast who just started
> programming assembly for the 6309 and wanna make game for coco3....

This may go against the grain and some may even say blasphemous, but IMHO
you're going to be more productive developing the game on a PC and running
on an emulator during the course of development.

With the right tools (Portal09/Rainbow) you can edit your source in a modern
text editor on a 30" LCD with build-times in the single-digit seconds and be
up-and-running a second or so later.

Contrast that with a 16-line display and building on a 2MHz 6809, even with
SuperIDE/Drivewire, and you're simply not in the same ballpark. Then again,
there are others that still prefer this approach (look in the dictionary,
under 'masochist')!!!

Of course, I'd still recommend you go ahead and purchase your Coco3 - for
several reasons, not the least of which is having a tangible machine sitting
there to motivate you to finish the game. And running on an emulator just
doesn't cut it for that retro experience.

Regards,