[Coco] What version the of C programing is most used?

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Dec 2 23:28:10 EST 2011

On Friday, December 02, 2011 11:22:17 PM Andrew did opine:

>  > Message: 9
>  > Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 23:52:17 -0600
>  > From: Brian G <briang0671 at sbcglobal.net>
>  > Subject: [Coco] What version the of C programing is most used?
>  > To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>  >
>  > I have an opportunity to take a programming class. I have only have
>  > programming in a class. The jobs I have had never used programming.
>  > So my question is what version is more often used to run
>  > electronics. Would I be more employable with C++ or C# ? Or is this
>  > there more to consider?
>
> What do you mean by "run electronics"? That could potentially cover a
> lot of ground. Your best bet is to go for some kind of bog-standard C,
> and the best way to learn it would be to set up an install of Linux or
> BSD, and play with gcc:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/
>
> You might also want to find a copy of K&R's "The C Programming Language"
> for reading; while a lot of it is outdated, it does introduce some
> concepts at the beginning, that, if you learn them, and take them to
> heart (ie, really, deeply understand them), you likely won't have to
> "learn" a particular programming language in the future. Instead, by
> understanding these common programming structures, which almost all
> languages abide by (especially most modern derivatives), you'll be able
> to pick up and go on any language very quickly.
>
> Now, besides the class, another couple of good books to have on-hand for
> learning C:
>
> C++ How to Program - http://www.deitel.com/books/cpphtp4/
>
> Yeah, I know it is focused on C++ (and you'll want to learn it, too - or
> at least have an understanding of object oriented programming), but it
> also has a lot of stuff in there for C; I used it as a textbook for a
> C/C++ programming class I took at a local community college.
>
> Another great book (long out of print - so you might have to dig for
> it), at least I thought it was, was a book published by QUE
> (http://www.quepublishing.com/) called "Programming with C" by Edward
> B.Toupin, as part of their "Easy" series (ISBN 1-56529-888-8). It's a
> little long in the tooth (1994), but it makes understanding and learning
> C very easy; it's enough to get you going, at least.
>
> But ultimately, my best advice is to try to steer clear of learning
> technologies (ie, a specific programming language), and instead learn
> the what's, why's and structures of programming in general (it also
> helps to learn about the history of computing, but it isn't required);
> by learning these general concepts, you build a skillset that allows you
> to understand and learn nearly any language out there - at least the
> ones that matter for career pursuits...
>
> -- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona

I'll heartily second these thoughts Andrew.  Very good advice, but today I
think I would go looking for the 2nd edition of the K&R book.  Thin, very
concise like the first edition, doesn't embellish a thing, but its ALL
there.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
If everybody minded their own business, the world would go around a deal
faster.
		-- The Duchess, "Through the Looking Glass"