[Coco] What version the of C programing is most used?

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 2 02:47:15 EST 2011

On 2/12/2011 4:52 PM, Brian G wrote:

> I have an opportunity to take a programming class. I have only have
> programming in a class. The jobs I have had never used programming. So my
> question is what version is more often used to run electronics. Would I be
> more employable with C++ or C# ? Or is this there more to consider?

Depends on what sort of programming you want to do.

If you want to learn a language that scales from lowly micros up to
modern-day desktop PC's, (eg. program your Coco or your desktop
WIndows/Linux box in the same language) I'd suggest you learn C. C++ is an
extension that should probably be learnt _after_ you cut your teeth on C.

C# is a Micro$oft creation, in their attempt to produce a 'next generation
language'. It is intended to be used on platforms that run the .NET
framework and the associated multi-GB of baggage that come with it. Also be
prepared to learn about 100 new acronyms and their founding technologies
before you can produce your first working application any more complicated
than "hello world".

So if you want to be tied to developing Micro$oft-only products, then C# is
the way to go. I would warn you that - given Micro$oft's history with this
sort of thing - you could find C# completely abandoned 5 years down the
track and you'll have to re-skill yourself again.

[FYI before you paint me as an ivory-tower *NIX fanboy, I routinely develop
Windows applications and device drivers (much to my dismay), so I do have
experience with Micro$oft development tools].

As for your employability - I can't comment as I'm (clearly) not in the
industry that is concerned with the latter.

Regards,