[Coco] that's just too evil!

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Tue Aug 30 05:15:07 EDT 2011

The DEC Programming Language manual from 1970 that describes FOCAL has
the *original* form of the game Hamurabi, later translated to BASIC and
published by Ahl, the concept of which has lived on in
resource-management games like Civ.

The original is called "King of Sumeria" and is IMPOSSIBLY harsh!!!!

Each simulated person eats 20 bushels of grain per year or it starves.
A sim can plant 1 acre of land, which uses 1 bushel of grain.
An acre of land produces, at best (that I've seen) 5 bushels of grain.

The result?  The population of your city goes:

----\

<phumpht!>

I'll look over the source again, maybe there's still typos, but dam!

BTW sumer.foc will be in the next release of focal09, because, hey,
sample code!

"Oh look my city has 1 person left, I guess that's me!"
Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
  -- R.E. Howard