[Coco] Anyone else collect other old computers/game consoles beside the Coco?

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Fri Aug 26 20:13:25 EDT 2011

On 08/26/2011 06:24 PM, Mark Marlette wrote:
> Joel,
>
> Where/who did you get your TC-9 from. Not many made. Curtis said at one time, just don't recall ATM.

I bought it straight from Frank Hogg in the early '90s.  I bought the
boards only, and put them in my own case, with a couple of 720K floppy
drives.  Unfortunately, the Disto SC II apparently wasn't compatible
with it, and the only hard drive adapters I had were the SCSI(SASI)
interfaces on the attached 4-in-1 board.  I really liked the performance
of the SC II as a no-halt controller on the CoCo 3 and was disappointed
that I'd have to go back to halt mode with the TC-9.  And mine never
seemed to be all that stable.  (I remember you mentioning that there are
some fixes for that -- I'd be interested in knowing more.)  So the TC-9
didn't end up being used much, though I was hoping it would be a bridge
to a K-bus '68K system, as it was supposed to be.

That never materialized.  When I had saved my pennies for the jump to
'68K, FHL wasn't shipping the TC70, so I called  David Graham, inquiring
about getting an MM/1.  He said he had CPU boards made up, but didn't
have anybody to stuff the I/O boards.  I told him I could do that for
him, so I became a subcontractor.  He shipped me a batch of I/O and RAM
boards, and I ordered parts, and assembled them and shipped them to him,
or occasionally directly to a customer.  Unfortunately, there was a
problem with the SCSI circuit on the Version 3 I/O board, making it
essentially useless.  Supposedly Kevin Pease was working on it, but
months went by, and then years.  I later traded an old Universal Device
Programmer to Ray Patterson (who did service work for the MM/1) for a
Version 2 I/O board that did work.  We sold a few 8M RAM/backplane
boards, but that was pretty much the end of new sales of the MM/1.
Demand was probably dropping off anyway.

I only met David Graham once, at a CoCoFest somewhere between 1997 and
1999.  Shortly thereafter his email bounced and he disappeared from the
OS-9 scene.  I still have a stack of bare I/O boards, and some memory
boards as well.  I also have parts to build probably 10 I/O boards and
at least a few 8M RAM/backplane boards.  The boards themselves still
belong to Blackhawk, I guess, but I paid for the parts.  If anyone who
has an MM/1 is interested in upgrading to 9M, let me know.  I can set
you up with a memory board.  And if David Graham wants to get back in
touch with me, I'll give him a cut for each board I sell.  :-)

So yeah, I paid dearly for my MM/1.  But it was a fun little computer to
play with.  I even contributed to an open source JPEG viewer for the
MM/1 by adding Joel Hegberg's clipboard library to it so you could copy
the slowly decoded and color quantized JPEG files and paste them into a
utility that could save them as a native CLUT .IFF that loaded much
faster.  What I'd really love to see now is a DriveWire client for
OS-9/68K...

JCE