[Coco] Anyone else collect other old computers/game consoles beside the Coco?

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Fri Aug 26 18:53:54 EDT 2011

On 27/08/2011 2:41 AM, Theodore (Alex) Evans wrote:

> It has gotten harder of late to find
>  good deals on interesting hardware.

Don't know about elsewhere, but lately here in Australia the market for
vintage computers has gone absolutely bat-sh*t crazy!?! Right at the time
that I've been looking to round off my collection... :(

An Atari Falcon 30 went for AUD$700 this week.
A C64 in "original foam box" (seriously?) is currently AUD$405.
C128 $258 this week.
MicroBees go for ~$270 these days.

And I'm not just cherry-picking the highest auctions - these are indicative
of all auctions atm. I'm really at a loss to explain the insane surge in
prices???

When I looked back at my (computer) collection, most of it I got for free.
In fact, the only machine I paid for was my A1200 - which came with monitor,
hard drive, SCSI adapter and ROM Kernel Reference Manuals - and I paid
$200... a bargain now!

I wonder whether this is going to be a short-lived phenomenon, or these
prices are here to stay? If so, this is going to become a very expensive
hobby!!!

Regards,