[Coco] Anyone else collect other old computers/game consoles beside the Coco?

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Fri Aug 26 11:04:47 EDT 2011

The CoCo was my first computer, and will always remain at the top of my
list.  But I love all kinds of archaic computers, and I've managed to
accumulate quite a pile of them, in various states of functionality.
Here is a list from memory of some of the classics I have (excluding
most of the IBM compatible hardware, except especially interesting stuff):

CoCo Stuff:
2 512K CoCo 3s (1 with 63C09E, 1 repacked in a mini-tower case, back
when that was the cool thing to do)
1 128K CoCo 3
1 Spartan 3 CoCo3FPGA
2 CoCo 2s
1 CoCo (1) (Upgraded to 64K ECB, through 16K, from 4K -- my first
computer -- in pretty rough cosmetic shape)
1 4K CoCo (in pretty nice condition)
1 TC-9 Tomcat (sometimes boots)
1 Blackhawk MM/1 9M (Needs a new HD, at the moment)
Various CoCo floppy drives, joysticks, game cartridges, and other
hardware, including 1 newer-style MPI, a DISTO Super Controller, and a
couple SCIIs, the DISTO EPROM programmer, and a couple 4-in-1 boards, a
Glenside IDE, a DS-69B Digisector, an Orchestra-90cc, et cetera.

Other Tandy Stuff:
1 TRS-80 Model 3
1 TRS-80 Model 4
1 Tandy Model 100 (Got wet, and probably needs help)
1 Tandy 1000 HX
several less interesting Tandy 1000 models
Tandy 4000 with 16 1M SIMMs, TI '486 upgrade processor, running WFW
3.11, and hosting an MCT UDP.

Commodore:
2 Commodore 64s (one has a video problem) (1 Enhancer 2000 aftermarket
floppy drive.)
1 Commodore 128 (has some broken keys on the keyboard, but works)
1 Amiga 1000 2M RAM
2 Amiga 500 (1 with external HD (needs new drive))

Apple Stuff:
1 Apple ][e (rescued from a dumpster -- is in obvious need of restoration)
1 Apple 2 motherboard of some sort -- probably broken
3 Apple 2c (1 is broken)
3 Apple 2gs (I have 1 3.5" drive that will work with the 2gses, but I
recently set up an old Mac with AppleShare server so that the 2gses can
remote boot over Localtalk, which is pretty slick.)
2 Macintosh Plus (1 has a bad analog board)
1 Macintosh Classic
1 Mac II
2 Mac LC II
1 Mac LC III
3 or 4 Mac IIci
3 or 4 Quadra 700
2 or 3 Performa 6xx
1 Quadra 660AV
2 Quadra 840AV
Loads of other assorted '68K and PPC Macs (some of the '68K macs have
had Debian/m68k installed)

CP/M:
1 Morrow Micro Decision
2 Osborne
1 Kaypro 4 (also some Kaypro passive backplane 8088 PC parts)
2 or 3 Epson ROM-based CP/M laptop-like computers reminiscent of the
Model 100
(One of my earliest computer experiences was playing 'Hunt the Wumpus'
on a Northstar Horizon that the mother of one of my classmates brought
to school to show us when I was in 4th grade.)

Miscellaneous:
2 Atari 2600 and a few games (the only Atari game I really liked was
Warlords)
Magnavox Odyssey2 that has never worked for me
3 TI/99-4A (only 1 working keyboard between them, a pair of joysticks,
and a box of game cartridges) (I also have some TI Professional
Computers [MS-DOS, but not completely IBM compatible] including 2 luggables)
1 Timex/Sinclair 1000 in aftermarket case that includes a 'real'
keyboard (with some games on cassette)
An SGI Indy and a couple large blue SGI workstations (I did have the
Indy up and running Irix a few years back)
An IBM POWERstation 355 (takes FOREVER to boot)

I've also got 'custodianship' of the remains of 2 SWTPC 6809 systems
(only 1 CPU board remaining, but lots of other boards) belonging to the
late co-worker of one of my friends.  I'm very slowly trying to make it
do something useful.  I'd like to make it boot OS-9.

I've never been able to get my hands on any Atari computer (not game
console) hardware at a price I can afford (which is little to nothing)
with the exception of 2 external Atari 3.5" floppy drives.

JCE