[Coco] Microware C Compiler question

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sun Aug 21 16:03:22 EDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 03:04:02PM -0400, Todd Wallace wrote:

> So there is a version that the libs path can be changed,

(BTW I'm assuming you have a 512K CoCo3.  If you've got a CoCo1/2 there
may be memory restrictions on the compiler I don't know about.
Specifically I don't know if cprep19b will run under LI)

Yes, but it still requires some binary editing, I'm afraid.  The lib
path is hardcoded into cc1/cc2.   The linker itself doesn't know
anything and expects full paths to all its files.

>but am I understanding correctly that the header file path is fixed in
>the preprocessor and no recent versions/patches change that?

Tell you what, tell me where you want your header files to be and I'll
build you a custom copy of cprep19b (the most current version of the
preprocessor) that is hard-coded to look there.

As options I could also:
1) I have code from Gene to make cprep look in the memory module
ccdevice that's part of cc252 to control where it looks for its files.
ccdevice would still have to be patched but one patch would do it all.

(I like this idea but I also like the "mix-n-match" nature of the
compiler, so I hesitate to tightly bind cprep to one specific cc2, even
the one that is, AFAIC, the best one.)

2)I could make cprep look in /dd/sys/env.file for INCLUDEPATH or some
other "environment variable".

(Either of those would take more time as I'd have to debug them.)

>So I will always need to keep some files on the boot disk (/dd) ?

DED is a very nice, friendly binary editor, don't be afraid of it.

>I can list the filesizes of all the files I have. I think i got it from
>maltedmedia or the other ftp site.

For a list of the most current libraries, check the previous threads
about C in the list's archive.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA