[Coco] MPI Questions.

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Fri Aug 12 19:44:59 EDT 2011

The high addresses are control registers for various SAM, VGA and CPU functions which in the CoCo 1 & 2 were allotted twice as many spaces as were used.  The other half of the space is ghosted, often acting like the actual locations, but not consistently.  The GIME combined the SAM and VGA functions and added several more.  The space was then fully decoded, and the MPI needed to have it's addressing adjusted to match.  Most of the incompatibilities are found under OS-9 and many users do indeed get away with running a CoCo 3 enabled MPI with a CoCo 1 or 2 without seeing any problems.  Indeed some people have run an unupgraded MPI on a CoCo 3 without finding a problem.  BUT, the potential for a problem in the differing address decoding does exist.

In the older MPIs the concept of piggybacking the PAL/GAL chips with an enabling switch was bandied about.  The newer MPI with it's trace cuts and added connections for the upgrade was not as easy to set up for dual use, but I'm sure it can be done, should someone care to put their mind to it.

Bruce W.