[Coco] Text Files in Coco

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Mon Aug 8 13:58:26 EDT 2011

Helio Emery Jr. wrote:
>Hi Robert, Actually, I had a Brasilian Coco2 machine until some 5 years ago. It was stored
>in my mother's house, since that I moved out, many, many years ago. Eventually she get
>tired of storing that "thing" and gave it away... (snif)I'll probably try to find a
>Coco 2 later on, but now I'm just wanting to get back in this forsaken (for me) knowledge
>first. See, Coco was my 2'nd computer, and the one with I learned most of the things
>before starting my carrer. During that time I was a "self-apprendice" and had much fun
>with it. I've learned some 6809 machine language and than installed OS9 and moved to
>C language. I'm just getting started again.With your help, and the help of the other
>fellows here I was ablle to tackle down how to create, compile and execute a simple
>assembler text program already. Your indications about the Edtasm+ was great, thanks.
>It solved the problems I was having. Now I'm going for some enhanced graphics in assembler.
>Next step is to find some OS9 .dsk Mine was given away with my Coco. And than program
>again in C language within OS9. Maybe you know where can I found the Coco OS9 disks in
>the web? I've already looked for it, but couldn't find any. Thanks very much for
>everybody's help.

While you are looking for some Coco hardware, there are more convenient
emulators to use than Mocha. Also I'd suggest moving up to a Coco3, real or
emulated. You could try VCC or MESS.
http://www.coco4.com/vcc/download.shtml
http://www.mess.org/downloads

MESS is in a transition period and I would not recommend the latest version for
Coco use. You will have better results with the previous releases 0.136 or 0.134
from the same url.

Rather than looking for the stock Tandy OS-9 package, I'd recommend NitrOS-9.
That is an overhaul of the Microware/Tandy product which is much better to use.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/nitros9/index.php?title=Main_Page