[Coco] CHIP-8 Emulator

David Roper ebonhand09 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 07:53:28 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I've dusted off my Coco, rebuilt my tool-chain, and I'm back to
actually produce something!

My ultimate project will be a Coco emulator..

No, not another MESS, or VCC or XRoar..

An emulator that runs ON the Coco!

I'm implementing the CHIP-8 interpreter on the Coco, so we can play
all of our favourite 64x32 monochrome games :)

Intended initial feature set:

* Load compiled CHIP-8 code from disk

* Choose own emulated hex-pad keys, so you can use the Coco WASD or
arrow keys. Machines supporting CHIP-8 were built with a variety of
hex-pad layouts, and the software was just as varied. Being able to
set your own keymap is a must!

* Joystick-to-hex-pad mapping, so you can play Pong or Tank Battle in
style and comfort!

* Adjustable speed setting

Once it's all up and running, I'll probably move on to emulating the
SCHIP-8 extensions, although this will require moving to a pure
graphics mode (128x64)

I'm doing some internal tech demos and code explorations at the
moment, but I'll note my progress as things move forward!

- Dave