[Coco] CoCoNet evolving

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sat Apr 30 15:16:13 EDT 2011

At 05:13 PM 4/29/2011, you wrote:
>On Friday, April 29, 2011 06:03:27 PM Roger Taylor did opine:
>
> > Does anyone here use the 3-in-1 or similar type board for their Super
> > Controller pak, and if so do you use the serial or parallel port
> > often?  From what I read, the 3-in-1 has a 6551-based serial circuit
> > with some of the handshaking lines tied active.  In this case, a
> > simple 3-wire connection can be made to a PC to allow a CoCoNet link.
> > I'd have to add detection in the CoCoNet ROM, but I wanted to do a
> > quick survey first to see just how many people (on this list) use an
> > SC+3-in-1 setup.
>
>I have a 4n1, but took it out yonks ago, mainly because the scsi interface
>was a 1 drive only interface, the serial was an xon/xoff only, and the
>parport had no handshaking so the data error rate with modern well (FCC
>specs) filtered input ports rendered that useless about 15 years ago.

Thanks, Gene.  CoCoNet doesn't use interrupts with the 6551 for the
virtual drives.  In fact, no hardware handshaking is required.  I
remember being dragged down a road by my very short hair over
something like a CTS/RTS issue or what-not even as I explained that
none of that mattered.  I feel confident that the limited serial
circuit of the 4-in-1 board will work just fine for another
high-speed virtual drive connection.  I was just wondering how many
people actually own and use those things so I can make some decisions.

--
~ Roger Taylor