[Coco] CoCoNet evolving

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Apr 29 18:13:56 EDT 2011

On Friday, April 29, 2011 06:03:27 PM Roger Taylor did opine:

> Does anyone here use the 3-in-1 or similar type board for their Super
> Controller pak, and if so do you use the serial or parallel port
> often?  From what I read, the 3-in-1 has a 6551-based serial circuit
> with some of the handshaking lines tied active.  In this case, a
> simple 3-wire connection can be made to a PC to allow a CoCoNet link.
> I'd have to add detection in the CoCoNet ROM, but I wanted to do a
> quick survey first to see just how many people (on this list) use an
> SC+3-in-1 setup.

I have a 4n1, but took it out yonks ago, mainly because the scsi interface
was a 1 drive only interface, the serial was an xon/xoff only, and the
parport had no handshaking so the data error rate with modern well (FCC
specs) filtered input ports rendered that useless about 15 years ago.

I bought a TC^3 and have a pair of 1Gb drives on it now, and the extra
serial was long since piggy-backed into a deluxe rs-232 pack and has my
mouse hooked to it.  Printers are now serviced either by some scripts I
wrote that feed the text back trough cups and thence to a B&W laser
printer, or by drivewire now that I have it sort of working.

IMO the 4n1 is not a very good piece of hardware, too many shortcuts were
taken, so it works only in a very narrow, lowest common denominator only
set of scenarios.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)