[Coco] Software testing for FDC emulator

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Apr 25 21:42:06 EDT 2011

On Monday, April 25, 2011 09:33:20 PM Frank Pittel did opine:

> The issue of timing problems with light "guns" and Roy's vga converters
> came up at a cocofest a couple of years ago and I remember you
> mentioning that it would be an easy fix and that you would solve the
> problem quickly and offer the fix for sale! :-)
>
> The Other Frank

With modern LCD monitors, and their much more continuous light output (no
scanning beam), I would have to assume it is a problem that cannot be
solved in a real time situation.  One would have to blink, one at a time,
every pixel on the screen to reliably detect the aim point of the light
gun.  Given the number of pixels, even when done with blocks of several
pixels to essentially duplicate the coco's far lower pixel count, it would
be a several second period just to blink every pixel once.  How would the
light gun detect that in the face of a shaky aim?

Lost cause IMO.