[Coco] Software testing for FDC emulator

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Fri Apr 22 00:10:53 EDT 2011

Darren A wrote:
> On 4/21/11, Robert Gault  wrote:
>>
>> Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>>>
>>> This is not currently supported, but it a feature that will soon be
>>> available in DW4.   I have no plans to add it to DW3, but the code is
>>> open if someone wants to do that.
>>>
>>> -Aaron
>>>

>> Hi Aaron,
>>
>> Then it is pointless for Darren to worry about games requiring the .dmk
>> format (because of
>> copyright schemes) until DW4 supports this format.
>>

> No. Not pointless.  Integration into DW4 would be great, but I do
> currently have a server of my own design that is being used for
> development of the FDC emulator.
>
> Darren

In looking at the code, 7th Link uses its own disk I/O routines (OBLIQUE TRIAD DOS 3.0) so
it is not likely that DW3/DW4 or Coconet could work with 7th Link. I don't believe there
is any method for trapping data sent to a Coco fdc within the Coco itself, so no ROM
replacement could handle proprietary I/O routines.
In short, games of this type would need to be cracked and rewritten so that they used the
ROM disk I/O calls. Then they would work with systems like DW3 or Coconet.