[Coco] Software testing for FDC emulator

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Wed Apr 20 22:04:22 EDT 2011

Darren A wrote:
> On 4/20/11, Robert Gault  wrote:
>> I don't see anything wrong with the code after a brief look. It will run
>> correctly with
>> several emulators but fails with recent MESS versions. That should mean that
>> emulation is
>> failing with the GIME VOFFSET registers, HOFFSET registers, or something
>> similar.
>

> Have you tried using the debugger in a recent version of MESS to set a
> breakpoint on E08 then, when it stops, set a watchpoint on the video
> offset registers?
>
> Darren

What I have done is followed the code to the point where $FF98-$FF99 and $FF9D-$FF9E are
set up. The emulated screen does not change immediately even though the correct values
have been placed in these registers (memory monitor). You need to wait for two VBLANK
pulses before the screen changes.

Unfortunately this tells me nothing about why the current MESS version does not work
correctly. Something broke in the source code but there is next to no support for the Coco
emulations so posting bugs doesn't help much.

=========

However, back to your problem. Is there a version of DW3 that supports the .dmk image format?

Robert