[Coco] CoCo3 Video Player Version 2 Demo

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Fri Apr 15 16:54:27 EDT 2011

Right, the grid-like dots are an artifact of the "ordered dithering"
process used to approximate the original colors using 16 Coco3 colors.
A different dithering algorithm might produce a different pattern
(or no pattern, but a constant "glitter" or "firefly" effect).

You can use a "best match" algorithm for the colors and avoid the
dithering, but that tends to produce a strange, cartoon-ish effect
(similar to those E*Trade commercials or an Obama campaign poster).
Also, this can produce a loss of detail in an area with a number of
similar colors in the source image.  The dithering can cause loss of
detail too, but on balance the effectively larger range of perceived
colors seems to make dithering the better choice in most cases -- YMMV.

Obviously, if you were to produce cutom video for a project (especially
an animation) then you could more precisely match the source palette
to the available CoCo3 colors.  Or in some cases you might alter the
CoCo3 palette in use to better match a particular video.  In my case,
I have a variety of videos mostly from YouTube and DVDs.  They take
a long time to process and I don't have a good algorithm for picking
a "best" palette for tens or hundreds of thousands of frames from
a video.  So, I have a palette that I picked for good coverage and
that seems to give acceptable results across a large range of videos.

John