[Coco] GIME behavior

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Thu Apr 14 10:01:52 EDT 2011

I believe Mark's assumption came from some code that I wrote, which is obviously incorrect.  $FF90 does indeed appear to be write only.

I'm not a hardware guy, but couldn't you do your own decoding of the address, clock and R/W lines to track writes to $FF90, storing that value somewhere as well as writing it to the "true" $FF90 address, then intercepting the read call and returning the value then?  Is there a hardware scheme to mask an address to do this?

On Apr 13, 2011, at 11:16 PM, Darren A wrote:

> On 4/13/11, Mark Marlette wrote:
>>
>> Lucky, no way.....Luck and magic, not here, designed, engineered. Boisy is
>> the software guy. There is a method to this as I recall but has at least
>> been a year if not more since I looked at this. I will have to go look at my
>> notes from my test code. Not going to happen for at least another ~20hrs
>> when playtime comes around again.....
>>
>> This a REALLY important address for the games we play at C-9 with the
>> hardware.
>>
>> So if you can't mode change then you might want to explain a bit more on
>> your project as I don't quite follow the design. If this is going to be a
>> product and you don't want to be detailed. I understand as I hope you will
>> as well.
>>

> ---
>
> I am tracking $FF90 in my hardware so that I can make the mode change
> and restore it later.  The problem was that I wanted to use the same
> address ($FF90) to read the tracked state.  Since this does not appear
> to be possible I will have to proceed by using an address outside the
> GIME range.
>
> If you can describe some other method to obtain the value in $FF90
> without having to go to this extra effort then that would be much
> appreciated.
>
> Darren

Boisy G. Pitre
http://www.tee-boy.com/