[Coco] Simple coco 2 memory test?]

Eric Keppel keppel at earthsounds.com
Sun Apr 10 20:02:25 EDT 2011

On 4/10/2011 6:24 PM, gene heskett wrote:
> On Sunday, April 10, 2011 06:19:37 PM Aaron Wolfe did opine:
>
>> FWIW, there is a native Linux DriveWire 3 server, and the DW4 server
>> is regularly tested on several Linux distros.  If you really like the
>> Windows interface, Wine is a fine choice, but there are "more native"
>> ways to use DW with Linux.
>> -Aaron
>>
> Absolutely. FWIW folks, DW4 runs just fine on this linux box, running
> pclos, which is a forever "rawhide" rolling update distribution.  It is a
> java .jar package, doesn't need a windows box for anything because java,
> once written, runs anyplace a bytecode interpreter exists.  Linux has had
> that for years.

Good to know Aaron, thanks!  I knew DW4 had a Linux build, but did not
realize that DW3 did.   Personally, I haven't have any success with
using /dev/ttyUSB0 as a serial device with the Linux version of DW4.  My
main board does have a serial port header which I just hooked up to a
DB9 breakout and it's working well with the current setup with the Wine
DW3 setup, but I will have to try the native Linux versions again with
the physical serial port as opposed to the USB and see if it will work.

   Last time I tried Linux DW4, java would throw errors whenever it
tried to do anything that accessed the serial port.  For example, when I
tried to auto detect the com port a dialog would come up with a bunch of
errors and warnings, and I never got it to really do anything, so that's
why I ended up looking at the Windows versions.  Sad, huh?  I will check
my Java version and have a look at the current settings - perhaps
something is just not set up correctly on this box.

Good to know that others are having success with it under Linux,
however.  Thanks for that info! :)

--Eric