[Coco] Simple coco 2 memory test?

Eric Keppel keppel at earthsounds.com
Fri Apr 8 20:00:48 EDT 2011

On 4/8/2011 7:45 PM, Robert Gault wrote:

> Just because you have not made Drivewire3 work is not reason to
> suspect that you have bad RAM chips.

You are probably right.  I suppose I fear the worst, sometimes. Check
that, if I feared the worst, I might be worried about a bad 6809 or SAM
chip.

> Let's make sure you are CLOADMing the correct file. :) The are two
> files in the .zip archive for the Coco2 that are wave files:
> dw3doscc2.wav, hdbcc2.wav.
> I believe the first will boot OS-9 from Drivewire3 if you don't have
> an HDBDOS ROM installed. The second should load HDBDOS into memory
> from tape.
> Based on the binary for the first file, you must EXEC after the CLOADM
> to get the program to work. I'm not sure about the second program but
> if you don't have the Coco auto-boot into HDBDOS after the CLOADM,
> then it likely requires an EXEC.

Since this is a Coco2, I tried both the dw3doscc2.wav and the hdbcc2.wav
for variety.  Both worked at times, but here again, it was maybe 1 in 20
attempts with a power cycle in between just to be sure the Coco was
ready.  I did the usual CLOADM and EXEC and they both loaded and started
fine.

> Do you want source code, a binary, a binary on a .dsk image, or a .wav
> file?

.WAV would be the quickest for me, but a .BIN file or .BIN on a .DSK
image would be fine also, since I have utilities to extract and convert
those to .WAVs.  I have not figured out how to convert a .BAS file or
even a text file with some Basic source to .WAV or .BIN yet.

Thanks for the help!
--Eric