[Coco] Simple coco 2 memory test?

Eric Keppel keppel at earthsounds.com
Fri Apr 8 17:12:52 EDT 2011

Hi all,

 I have made progress with my Coco2 here, and just upgraded it to 64k.
Managed to get GLOVE running using all 64K as well as other games that
wouldn't run before in 16k, so that is progress. :)

However, I suspect that I may have a bad ram chip, since I can't get
some things to work reliably.

 For instance, I loaded HDRDOS from the .WAV file included in the
Drivewire package, and when I typed "DOS" to load Nitros-9 it only very
rarely (1 in 20 times, perhaps) was able to boot all the way to an OS9
prompt via Drivewire 3 or Drivewire 4. I tried both versions, hoping one
would make a difference.  Whenever I do manage to boot fully, the
machine will lock up sometime shortly after and not respond to commands
anymore.

 This is a home-made serial cable, so perhaps that is the issue.  I did
notice CRC errors in the Drivewire logs (error 243 IIRC).  But wouldn't
I get the same errors if the data is corrupted due to a bad RAM chip and
thus verifies incorrectly?

 Anyway, the bottom line is that I am looking for a small memory test
program I can run to see if it is working reliably.  Does such a program
exist, and if so, can someone direct me to it?

Thanks!

--Eric