[Coco] Documentation of "complex" artifacting (i.e. more than black/white/blue/red)?

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sat Sep 25 23:28:14 EDT 2010

John W. Linville wrote:

> Thanks, Robert.  But while that helps explain the 01 and 10 patterns
> (which fit into the time slot for a single NTSC color pixel), I don't
> think it addresses the patterns involving more than two bits.

Sure it does. Think of the screen as having a certain number of pixels per color
burst cycle. The average location of the pixel pattern within a color burst is
the fake phase angle. In addition, there is a blend of artifact colors depending
on which colors are side-by-side.

It is trivial to place on a graphics screen a repeating bit pattern to see what
color is generated. You can even write a Basic program to do that.