[Coco] further adventures with plug'n'power/x10

Steve Batson steve at batsonphotography.com
Thu Sep 23 16:12:35 EDT 2010

I haven't played with the CoCo PnP or x10 for a while, but as you
mentioned, it could be non CoCo related, it could be the controller or one
of your outlets. I've had a few problems with X10 in the past.

First, it very well could be the outlet or module. I've had a number of the
wall outlets go bad and just stop responding to the controller. I have no
idea why the high failure rate, but it's happend enough times that I don't
like to use the outlets anymore. The modules seem a bit more rugged.

Second, I've seen many issues where the signal isn't strong enough to go to
some parts of the house if it's big and spread out.

Third and finally, I've had situations where the the signal got blocked
because the controller was on one leg of the power coming into the house
and the module on the other. This can sometimes be tested by turning on an
appliance such as a dryer that uses 240V, when it comes on, it acts like a
bridge and the signal jumps the transformer in the appliance.

You might want to use a powerstrip to test the controller/module to see if
the signal can get there with everything on the same circuit over a short
distance. If you can manually controller the devices on the strip but
software doesn't, you know it's with the software or some timing issue as
mentioned earlier. If everything works on the strip but not in the orignal
locations, it's probably the second or third issue I mentioned above.

If you have a problem with controller being on a different leg of the power
than the outlet/module, you can get bridges that can be installed in the
breaker box or make something up. I'd be careful though, you don't want to
cause shorts and possibly a fire by doing some type of home brew project
unless you are very familiar with working with electrical circuits. I know
they have or used to have exntenders or repeaters for X10 signals to go
longer distances.

I think X10 stuff is cool in how it works and how easy it can be to setup.
I don't do much with anymore though because the reliability isn't very good
for some of the things I mentioned above. It is cool to have the computer
control devices, but I ended up buying a clock/controller at Radio Shack
years ago and used it for a while. Plus they have these controller pads
that you can manually turn things on and off without needing mess with the
computer.

Hopefully this helps.

Have Fun.

Steve