[Coco] REAL dumb question

Little John sales at gimechip.com
Mon Sep 20 20:30:25 EDT 2010

would that be the earlier Dell Mini 9?
:)
----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Wolfe" <aawolfe at gmail.com>
To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2010 7:29 PM
Subject: Re: [Coco] REAL dumb question

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 8:04 PM, Todd Wallace <dragonbytes at cox.net> wrote:
> Actually its more than "Mr Job's approval". The article posted earlier on
> the list shows that they are starting to make EULA's legally binding and
> the OSX eula specifically forbids the use of osx on non mac computers.
> There's also alot of security and update issues with hackintosh. If you
> want OSX and a great experience, you're really better off getting a real
> mac. Just my 2 cents :)

There is a lot of FUD out there regarding the use of OSX on non Apple
PCs.   In my own experience, if you do some research and plan your
hardware, the "experience" on a non Apple PC is no different than an
Apple one.  In fact, it can be superior if your needs include a
hardware design that Apple does not offer.  For instance, I purchased
a certain Dell netbook specifically because the hardware components
were largely identical to those used in the Mac mini.  Same chipset,
same wifi card, etc.  On this netbook you can install from a regular
retail OSX DVD and it runs very, very nicely.  I purchased a second
Dell for my non-techie girlfriend, installed OSX on it, and she's used
it for a couple years now without a single issue.  On the other hand,
shoehorning OSX onto hardware that is too different from the small
list that Apple supports can be challenging and is best left to those
who enjoy such challenges.

While the EULA does allow installation of OSX only on "Apple labeled"
PCs, it is not illegal to break the terms of an EULA.  It simply means
Apple doesn't have to fulfill the terms in the EULA either.  Maybe
that's changing with the recent court decision, but today there is
nothing *illegal* about installing OSX on anything you care to try it
on.

-Aaron