[Coco] CoCo Memory Map Assembly Language Equates

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 16:49:33 EDT 2010

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Little John <sales at gimechip.com> wrote:
> This is a little project I've been working on for the past few days in my spare time (which is sparse):
> http://www.gimechip.com/pages/CoCo_Memory_Map_Equates_Disk_EDTASM+_Format_v1_0.html
>
> Now, given the recent comments on the list, I expect to receive some of the following comments:
> mostly: "Why would you waste your time with this?"
> a few:   "Thanks - this is pretty cool"
> very few: "That's all well and good, but here's a few corrections"
>
> and probably a few other comments that I have yet to consider. Regardless of what you think, my times already been spent, the project is done, I hope at least one person enjoys it and perhaps can offer corrections.
>
> What I would really like to hear is: "Disk EDTASM was okay in it's day, but may I recommmend the following PC development suites...."

FWIW, in my experience, when the list pounces on an idea and tears it
apart, it generally deserves such treatment.  Speaking strictly to my
own posts about my own projects and ideas, I've found the things that
were met with "weeping and gnashing of teeth" were indeed not great
ideas, once I recover from the initial disappointment.  You seem to
feel like the list is arbitrarily negative to all new ideas, and its a
shame you have that impression. In my experience this is not true, it
is negative to bad ideas and mostly neutral to good ideas :)

Anyways, as to your project, let me second mamou as a nice way to do
CoCo assembly.  This is the tool used to compile NitrOS9, all the
various programs available in the NitrOS9 cvs, and personally I use it
for work on DriveWire.  With mamou you edit code in your own editor
and manage the build process with tools like unix's make, etc.
Basically the traditional unix style programming environment.  If
you're looking for a packaged IDE, Roger has a new one coming out and
an older one on his website.