[Coco] Deskmate 3 article link

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Wed Sep 15 06:15:38 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 01:22:03AM -0500, Little John wrote:
> Wasn't the SAM and VDG developed as part of some sort of Farmers
> Agricultural Terminal (one of which just sold on eBay rather cheaply)? Then
> they decided, hey, this could also be used to make a cheap color computer?
> I'm only asking because I seem to remember reading something to that effect
> ages ago - but as memories go, mine seems relatively fallible...

Yes, the videotex terminal came first, but I sort of doubt the SAM and
VDG were designed specifically for that.  When I read Motorola's old
documentation about the 6809, I feel that their engineers hoped to
take over the entire world with it.  Therefore, I kind of doubt that
the people designing support chips that mesh so tightly with the 6809
would have had the attitude of "Naa, we're just throwing these
together.  It's just for a dumb terminal, after all."

IMHO, anyway.
Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA