[Coco] Deskmate 3 article link

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Tue Sep 14 15:37:02 EDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 08:52:59PM -0400, Todd Wallace wrote:

> Interesting article.  I wonder if anyone has ever done a comparison
> between Deskmate3 for OS9 and Multiview for OS9.

Well, as has already been covered, we have the development system to
create more MV apps.

Deskmate runs in VDG graphics.  The screen is in the app's memory and
can be twiddled as desired.  This is faster, but comes at a big cost
in memory.  Not only is the graphics screen in your address space, you
also have to have all the complicated bit-twiddling code.

Multivue graphic screens are not in the apps's memory space, neither
is the real graphics code.  The penalties there are speed and having
to deal with an somewhat fragile escape-code control system.

>I never played with Deskmate3 but I did have multiview years ago.
>They seem very similar.

CoCo Deskmate remains an integrated app suite, like the various
"Works" suites on other machines, and Multivue is a real, general
purpose GUI.  PC Deskmate made the jump, but CoCo Deskmate never did.
All it would have taken is for Tandy to release the development docs &
code.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA