[Coco] Sands Of Egypt & DW3

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Wed Sep 8 08:12:30 EDT 2010

Mark McDougall wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Could someone please confirm that I can't expect the abovementioned disk
> image to work on DW3 (on a Coco 1 FWIW)?
>
> I have just started experimenting with DW3 and have come across a few
> disk images that won't run. I suspect they're accessing the disk
> controller directly (or perhaps require a Coco 3?) They include:
>
> Caladuri
> The infocom adventures
>
> TIA
> Regards,

"Sands of Egypt" is not a Coco3 game, so that is not the issue. I can confirm it
will not run over DW3 but gives disk I/O errors if no floppy disk system is in
use. If there is a floppy disk system present, then Sands will try to access the
hardware floppy rather than use the DW3 system.
That must mean Sands contains its own disk software, not a surprise as the game
contained special copyright protection.

Given the above as an example, there must be other games which contain their own
disk routines and therefore will not work with DW3.

=======

Since you are using DW3, why not run an emulator such as MESS or VCC? Then you
will be able to play Sands and other games which contain their own I/O routines.