[Coco] Artifacting (again)

Wesley Haynes wlhaynes1248 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 09:21:44 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Mark McDougall <msmcdoug at iinet.net.au>wrote:

> On 2/09/2010 3:14 AM, Wes wrote:
>
>  0 0 = black
>> 1 1 = bright green
>> 0 1 = greyish blue
>> 1 0 = dark / brownish green
>>
>> I may have the last two flipped relative to your table above, but that's
>> the
>> idea. It was a great mode for adventure games set in a forest or swamp!
>>
>> I can verify this on a real coco when I get home. Sorry I can't help you
>> with PAL.
>>

> Thanks, much appreciated!
>
> Once you get home could you also pls tell me the colours in SCREEN 1,1 mode
> on NTSC? Are they red/blue or orange/cyan?

Sorry, it was late last night when I got to test this, and I was too lazy to
type a reply on my phone or get my laptop out. Unfortunately, my coco2 won't
power up anymore, so I had to test with a coco3. On my display (a old 13"
TV) I would have to call the SCREEN 1,1 colors orange and bright blue, just
like L. Curtis Boyle's Clowns and Balloons screen shot.

Also, I was off on my SCREEN 1,0 color table. Here's an update ...

0 0 = black
1 1 = bright green
0 1 = olive? (darkish brown-green)
1 0 = dark green

Another possible discrepancy is that some coco2 SAM chips (mine included)
produced somewhat different artifact colors. My orange / blue SCREEN 1,1
mode always looked more pinkish red / greenish cyan if you know what I mean.
That is, the red was a little brighter than pure red, and the green was
bluer than pure green but much greener than true cyan (text mode CLS 6,
e.g.).

I think these particular SAM chips ran hotter than normal also, but that was
a long time ago and I may not remember correctly. Anyone else remember
anything like this?

Wes