[Coco] Question about RAM

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Wed Oct 27 22:29:31 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Roger Merchberger <zmerch-coco at 30below.com
> wrote:

> On 10/27/2010 09:55 PM, Sean wrote:
>
>> Although with the BASIC command, I don't think you would see any
>> difference between a 128k CoCo and an upgraded one.
>>

> For a CoCo3, you could do a LPOKE to an unused memory area outside the
> "normal" 128K address space, then LPEEK that address to see if the value was
> the same; there may be other ways to verify but I can't think of a better
> one right now.

I think that ghosting would cause that LPOKE/LPEEK method to fail, so that
you'd see the value you poked in even if the machine was 128K.
You'd need to Lpoke an address and then Lpeek an address that differed from
that by 128K;  if the second address contained what you Lpoked in, the
machine is 128K.  That is, ghosting => 128K;  lack of ghosting => 512K or
greater.

Art