[Coco] multipak question

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 20:13:22 EDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 8:57 PM, Little John <sales at gimechip.com> wrote:

Jeremy,
> you can order an upgrade chip ready to go right here:
> http://www.frontiernet.net/~mmarlette/Cloud-9/Hardware/MPI%20PAL.html<http://www.frontiernet.net/%7Emmarlette/Cloud-9/Hardware/MPI%20PAL.html>
> Mark includes complete installation instructions - but you basically just
> swap the chip. Of course, Mark also provides the following info:
> Does My Multi-Pak Need This Upgrade?
>
> Here's a simple test that will determine if your Mulit-Pak has already been
> upgraded to work with a CoCo 3. From BASIC's OK prompt, type PRINT
> PEEK(&HFF90) and press ENTER. If 126 is returned then the Multi-Pak has been
> upgraded. If it returns 255 then it has NOT been upgraded.

Tried this test on my CoCo 1 setup which has a 3024 MPI, am I ok to assume
the PEEK into &HFF90 returns a trustworthy decimal 255 on the noted
hardware? or is this test CoCo 3 specific?

I remember trying out that same MPI on my CoCo 3 a while ago, never had any
problems even with OS9LII - could be I just got lucky at that time.

It has been years since I followed up closely on this subject in CoCo
magazines: what is the impact on a regular CoCo 1 & 2 after the MPI is
upgraded for proper CoCo 3 operation? any software/hardware packages that
may balk at the upgrade?

-- RP