[Coco] Any news on the so called CoCo4 or Next CoCo

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 22 20:50:45 EDT 2010

On 23/10/2010 4:04 AM, Frank Swygert wrote:

> On the FPGA side -- would it be possible to modify one of those proprietary
> cards (in software/FPGA) and tack onto an existing order to reduce costs,
> assuming there is one that provides suitable video?

If you mean the proprietary boards we've designed for our customers, then
(in practice) no. We don't own the IP unfortunately, and have no right to
manufacture that design, or even an altered design, ourselves.

> I would prefer a compact hardware solution as
> well, it's just not been truly feasible. Total cost with a $200 board would
> still be around $300 (minus monitor), and then you can't do anything else
> with it.

The biggest cost in any Coco4 design - whether a full design from scratch or
an add-on for an existing FPGA platform - is going to be interfacing to
legacy hardware. The cost is incurred in both pin count and logic level
translation.

There are probably dozens of FPGA boards out there, some cheaper than the
DE1, that can readily run Coco3FPGA. Choose any board with VGA out and some
SRAM and interfacing a PS/2 keyboard and RS-232 is cheap and trivial.

But then if you want a cartridge port, interface to analogue joysticks,
composite video, SD/MMC/IDE/floppy... the cost starts to add up *very* quickly.

Of course a small market (small production runs) only makes matters worse.

So your $300 Coco is probably a little way off just yet. :(

Regards,