[Coco] VCC6809 on Linux?

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 07:11:02 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 5:52 AM, Mark McDougall <msmcdoug at iinet.net.au>wrote:

On 21/10/2010 7:21 PM, Rogelio Perea wrote:

>  One of the first things I did when I bought my 701 EeePC a while ago was
>> strip Xandros and install Ubuntu. A couple of years after there is a
>> Netbook
>> Ubuntu distribution (http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook) that makes it easier
>> install and run on these small computers.
>>

> I never got around to installing Ubuntu on mine, but I did grab some
> scripts which configured the standard desktop, and maximised the screen
> space in firefox and thunderbird.
>
> Is Ubuntu worth the effort?
>
> But the screen resolution is still a major PITA. After using it on several
> OS trips for internet and photo backup (to USB drive), I think it finally
> proved itself inadequate when it was taking 10s to open the photos from my
> Nikon DSLR... :(

The full install of Ubuntu on the 701 far surpased the stock Xandros, With
Ubuntu I had "everything Linux" in that little box, so for me it was well
worth the effort to install, just had to do some fancy USB stick footwork
back in the day to get it running - nothing major and actually needed to get
by the constraints of the EeePC.

The screen resolution, as you note, is the biggest hindrance on this
netbook. I did try it once with an external monitor and was a complete new
ball game, albeit at the loss of the extreme portability the 701 inherently
delivers.

-- RP