[Coco] Hosting for CoCo Projects - Can Anyone Help???

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Oct 19 13:42:22 EDT 2010

On Tuesday, October 19, 2010 01:29:23 pm Little John did opine:

> Thanks Gene. I have heard from quite a few folks. This list really is
> loaded with great people. I tried to set up a home server like yours
> using DynDNS (I think you recommended it to me and so did C.W.), but my
> darned wireless router kept it blocked. Couldn't get it working, but I
> won't give up.

Have you an old, say 400mhz k6-II or similar box in the recycle corner?
Strip the drives, get an ide-compact flash adapter & a half gig CF card.
Install something like the X86 version of dd-wrt, v24-sp1 on it.  Put 2
nics in it.  Feed one to an 8 or more port switch, the other to your modem.

Log into it with a browser once its booted from the cf and configure it how
you want it.  This is one of the best kept secrets in routers ever.  You
can do everything but run a wireless card with the free version.  I used to
watch the logs & all the turkeys that try to hack on it, but after a couple
of months that got boring.  The one possible hack has an iptables rule you
can install that kills that.  I have not been touched, as in no one has
gotten past it in going on 4 years now that I didn't give the admin
username and passwords, and its not root.  The singular exception to that
is the port 85 forward to apache & my web page.

>  I'm not sure how many friends my son has made over these past few
> years, but I've been browsing through the archives of stuff that many
> of you folks have mailed, emailed and uploaded to him over the years.
> There's got to be a couple hundred GIGs - over half of it CoCo (but a
> lot of duplication), some for all the other Tandy Models - also what
> appears to be a complete set of Tandy FAXBack documents (well probably
> not all of them but quite a bit). There's a good deal of TI-99/4A and
> sinclair stuff in there too. This archive is what I've been trying to
> get online. I believe I'll run a hardline to his shop rather than
> wireless and this should hopefully solve my problem and let me get this
> FTP set up.
>
> $600 for OS-K.... sigh... I wasn't expecting it to be such a large
> price, but I suppose it makes sense - lower volume sales = higher
> price. This will definately throw a wrench in the works with the 68K
> card - the 68008 is pretty limited, so Linux would probably crawl...
> but, you've given me incentive to create a more powerful card - could
> you imagine firing up the CoCo and running Linux via a 68K card? That
> would be great!
>
> The inclination comes from my being raised watching the Waltons and
> Little House on the Prairie - those shows shaped my idea of what
> families really mean. Always being there for each other and I love my
> Son and don't mind saying so :) The resources aren't really there - the
> shop is financed... but it'll be worth it. Pays off in three years. The
> time... I'm self-employed and so can spend lots of time with family,
> but this also means I may get a call at 2AM or even noon after not
> sleeping. Still, it's worth it all. I want to thank you all for your
> offers to help and I hope to have some really great "open-source"
> hardware designs for you fine folks real soon. THANK YOU! - John's
> Father... John

[huge snip]

--
Cheers, Gene