[Coco] Need a FD 502 controller that can accept 28 pin roms

Little John sales at gimechip.com
Wed Oct 13 02:03:52 EDT 2010

Cool. I was going by what I had read in the Extended ADOS-3 Manual which
states:
If you have the Tandy FD-502 controller, you already have a 28-pin socket:
however, the controller needs a minor modification in order to be usable
with a 27128 EPROM.
It then mentions how to get the instructions from SpectroSystems, followed
by:
The instructions may also be found on Page 76 of the March 1989 Rainbow
magazine except that there is a typographical error: It is pin 26 not pin 28
that must be connected to the controller's edge connector.

But are you saying it can handle a 16K EPROM without modifications? or are
you saying that it can use any 2764-27512, but only as an 8K device? Just
curious. I use 27256's for everything because I have a ton of them - I just
burn an 8K image into the 27256 stacked 4 times - so it doesn't matter the
status of the upper address lines or even if they are floating - it still
works.

If HDB-DOS is only 8K then it would be fine without mods, but if you tried a
16K DOS (like CoCoNet) it would need the mod - I think?
-John #1