[Coco] Double sided disk usage with the Vavasour or Collyer Coco3 emulators?

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Mon Nov 29 22:32:05 EST 2010

Thanks Tveo,

So, to summarize, even though there is a Vavasour .dsk format for double sided
disks which requires the second byte in a header to be 2, his Coco3 emulator can
not use that format. That's a fine how-de-do!

I did run a test and found a NitrOS-9 80 track boot disk, split into side 1 and
side 2 (jump through hoops) and mounted in the Vavasour/Collyer emulator as
disk0 and disk2 will boot OS-9.
For anyone else interested you need the newest RETRIEVE for that to work. The
original one gave me errors trying to read the second side of the disk.

Well the source code is on RTSI. One can always hope that a programmer who knows
the language will update the emulator so that it uses the Vavasour header formats.
The Collyer mod would be of interest as you can mount two virtual hard drives at
the same time. That makes it very easy to move OS-9 files from one drive to the
other. Unfortunately moving Basic files from one hard drive to the other, while
possible with a modified RGBDOS ROM, is still not easy. There is no way to
modify the COPY command to work between the two drives. A RAM drive would still
be needed as with Drivewire.