[Coco] What would a CoCo successor have to have as a minimum?

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Sat Nov 27 15:18:57 EST 2010

Jorge, most of what you want is available in Roger Taylor's "Phoenix" IDE. You pretty much described it -- a fast programming/development environment for the CoCo (and other 8 bit systems). That and one of the emulators meet most of your desires. The exception is "no Windows" and "instant on". You can *almost* get instant on by using a DOS emulator and loading a stripped down version of DOS with a batch file to call up the emulator immediately. Load it all on a USB drive or SD card on a computer that will allow booting from such devices. Get a small Netbook or ITX bookshelf computer and you'll even have a compact machine.

RJL, the above scenario almost takes the underlying OS out of the equation. I think in the long run an emulator running under a stripped down version of Linux (nothing that's not needed by the emulation or for maintenance) would be better than DOS -- definitely easier to modify/work with as time goes on.

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 18:17:40 -0400
From: "RJLCyberPunk"<cyberpunk at prtc.net>

If It's going to be a USB device that you plug to a PC or Mac. is going to
need to run on either system at least partially that's a given just FYI.