[Coco] What would a CoCo successor have to have as a minimum?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sat Nov 27 10:20:47 EST 2010

On 27 Nov 2010 at 7:32, Mike Pepe wrote:

> [...]

Mike

A better answer is that the 8.3 directory format is a function of the VDAP and/or V2DAP
software within the Vinculum device. The dame restrictions were on the the DOS on a CHIP
IC that has now seem to be discontinued. I do seem to remember the datasheets on the
DOS on a CHIP stating something to the effect that long file names where proprietary to M$. I
will have to reinvestigate that again. Vinculum only supports 512 byte sectors and must
adhere to the AT or  SCSI commands set. The Viculum 2 will support smaller sector sizes
with a read/write /modify protocol. This will force twice as many reads or writes to a BOMS
device.

Still usable. It is esentially a DOS on a chip. Maybe the Vinculum 2 firmware can be modified
to read and write long filenames is uncertain yet.

I am not sure if M$ patented or copyrighted the long file name algorithm. If patented then it is
soon to run out. Copyrighted would require royalties to M$ for usage of their algorithm. Now
Linux is a UNIX derivative and has had long file names before M$ if I remember correctly.

Maybe this will help clear things up a bit.

james