[Coco] What would a CoCo successor have to have as a minimum?

Jorge Renato Machin Ibarra jorge_machin at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 26 11:08:07 EST 2010

I am one of the few persons who don't want a new coco 4 as a "new kind of beast" because the machines I love are the original color computers. What I want it's a modern way to develop new programs for my old color computers or an easy way to play my old games. So this is my wish list:

1. A modern text editor in DECB.

2. A modern file manager.

3. A modern ROM manager. Just select your rom and run it. The ROM manager could have screenshots like the wii or  the nintendo DSi .

4. A modern BASIC language compatible with the DECB. Just like Borland's Turbo Basic could compile GWBasic Programs and write new programs without line numbers. It would be great if you can compile the modern programs in machine language and run them in an old color computer.

5. A very high speed mode.

6. Include a Serial Pak.

7. Include Music and Voice Paks emulators.

8. Use memory cards or usb memory cards.

9. Compatible with Color Computer 2 and 3.

10. No windows/linux needed. Just turn on the device and see my beloved green screen.

11. Use modern display, keyboards and mices. It would be great If the coco 4 could have his own screen as an option.

12. A web browser mode to let me browse internet and download programs from Internet.

Several points of this wish list we already have them with the hardware and software of Cloud 9, Roger Taylor and others, but it would be great if you could have all this things in a new small hardware solution. Maybe my idea of a coco 4 is unviable. Just dreaming.

Thanks you very much for keeping the coco live

Jorge Machin