[Coco] What would a CoCo successor have to have as a minimum?

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Wed Nov 24 15:01:26 EST 2010

The reason for dropping CoCo1/2 compatibility would be to free up some
ROM memory (possibly...) and video space -- no support for
semi-graphics. The only programs that people run from the CC1/2 days are
old games, and those are few and far between. The main reason, however,
is just to free some code space and programming time. Anything useful on
the CoCo needs an 80 column display. I know we got along fine without
one, but the point is to make an upgraded yet partially compatible, easy
to program system.

The emulation idea does just what you state -- uses a PC motherboard
with minimal OS, preferably integrated into the emulator as much as
possible so it boots quickly and cleanly as possible. For I/O
interfacing either reprogram the LPT port as an I/O port (not hard) or
add a card or USB dongle with some type of I/O interface (not
necessarily a CoCo expansion port, but could be).

---------------
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 05:49:02 -0800
From: "Steve Batson" <steve at batsonphotography.com>

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. Some seem to be willing to leave
compatibility behind or drop it at the CoCo 3 level. Does that really
make sense? If you drop compatibility, there goes a huge sofware base
which means you have this new computer with limited stuff to run on it
and it will not be that appealing to nearly as many.

How about building a CoCo 4 board or device that plugs into a PC and
leaverage all the PC Hardware somehow. Might require some type of basic
OS or Loader to make it work.

--

Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"