[Coco] What would a CoCo successor have to have as a minimum?

Steve Ostrom smostrom7 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 23 20:02:03 EST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Evans" <alxevans at concentric.net>
To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:40 AM
Subject: Re: [Coco] What would a CoCo successor have to have as a minimum?

Alex, this is your quote from a few days ago.

If one wants to get pedantic, 8ns giving you 125MHz is only 4x faster
than 25MHz, not 5x faster.

It's interesting that you are making an issue of this.  The accuracy is in
the way it is phrased.  If the writer says "y = 4 times more than x", then
it means that y=5x.  But when someone says "y is 5 times faster than x" or "
y is 5 times greater than x" it means y=5x.  That is standard math.  The key
is in the use of the word "more" which means "plus".  "4 times more than x"
means "4x + x" or 5x.  I think the original author said that 125 MHz was 5
times the speed of 25MHz, which is correct.  It would also be correct to say
that 125 MHz was 4 times more than 25 MHz.