[Coco] What would a CoCo successor have to have as a minimum?

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Nov 23 13:20:44 EST 2010

On Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:34:59 pm Steve Bjork did opine:

> I programmed on both the 68000 and 65816 back in day as home console
> game designer.  I will tell you that 68000 was a dream to program on,
> the 65816 was a nightmare.  Just as the 6502 had real problems dealing
> with the 8-bit boundary (every 256 bytes) the 65816 has the same problem
> with 16-bit boundary (every 64k).

I take it that this seemed to be a reasonable trade-off since at the time,
the Z-80 also suffered from this limit.  I wrote a broadcast ATS to run on
the Z-80, and the result by the time my code was needing an 8k byte eprom
to hold, was probably 20% of the overall code devoted to maintaining multi
page jumps.  Frankly, it was the biggest PIMA code I ever wrote, and only
used the Z-80 because that was what was on the Mirco-Professor development
board of the day and relatively in-expensive.  I could have done it in half
(or even less) the code on an RCA 1802.

> The design of 6502 was in the day when CPU were expensive to design and
> make. Just removing one logic gate on the CPU made a real difference in
> cost.  So the designers of the 6502 save logic gates by making every
> register 8-bits when they could.  (Even the x and y memory pointers were
> just 8-bits.)

Just one of the reasons I always considered both it and the Z-80 as being
drain bamaged cpu's, with no real comparison to the 1802-4-5, or the even
newer 6809.

Now definitely off topic:

My personal 'vintage cpu' list only has 2 entries, 6x09, and 1802-4-5.  The
unusual architecture of the 1802 family was, AFAIAC, 2 generations ahead of
its time, and its a crying shame that its internal clocking, never modified
in 2nd generation chips, meant it took 8 clocks for one machine cycle, at a
1 mhz clock.  I found it more than fast enough for what I was doing at the
time, circa 1978.

I have often wondered if a fpga image of the 1802 that matches clock and
machine was ever developed, but have no clue how to do a poodle search to
find out.  Ahh, yes, and no.  There was such a project on the retro contest
site,

 <http://retrochallenge.net/RC2010/index.html>

2nd place winner this year, but the actual link that should reach it is
down, NDI why.  A takedown notice from whoever owns rca?
It was done in an fpga.  There is also an emulation called emma2, how good
I have no idea.  I'd druther have the real thing in an fpga.  The  the code
I still have a paper copy of, and a broadcast cart image of, would run,
provided I had the hardware for all the I/O it used.