[Coco] dw 3

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Nov 23 07:46:54 EST 2010

Aaron Wolfe wrote:

 ><snip>
> I feel like we are playing "Who's on first" here.
 ><snip>
> Unless I am completely misunderstanding what we are talking about, the
> DW4 alternate mode already allows coco 1,2, or 3 to copy and backup
> directly from any of all 256 .dsks to another.

Exactly the problem. :) You refer to 256 different 35-track .dsk images mounted
in DW4. Well any of the tools we now have, imgtool/wimgtool, toolshed, or
emulators permit this type of transfer without using DW4. Of course they don't
work with url mounted .dsk images so there you have created something new and
valuable. I think Roger's CocoNet has this ability also.

There is still the other issue of moving files between the large (256 drive per
.dsk) images, one DW4 slot to another. Users need a convenient method for
transferring a file from a PC to say drive#132 on a 256drive.dsk image or from
drive#132.dskA to drive#74.dskB. Even worse is a backup from drive#35.dskA to
drive#100.dskB .

A further issue related to 256drive disks, is how to handle MESS and VCC .vhd
disks on Drivewire. The former have an OS-9 offset while the latter does not.