[Coco] dw 3

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 02:45:06 EST 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 2:34 AM, Frank Pittel <fwp at deepthought.com> wrote:

>> Now, if I want to use DW in OS9, I just power on and type DOS.. my OS9
>> system loads off the superide's CF card and loads the DW drivers.  If
>> I want to use DW in BASIC (or boot OS9 from DW), i power on and type:
>> RUN"DW"  (the program above).  The ROM is switched to HDBDOS/DW and
>> the coco resets instantly.  Ready to go in DW mode.
>
> Do I lose programs in ram at the time I make the switch? I keep the hdbdos
> images in the flash images in the superide card and can "fire them up" at will.

Yes, ram is cleared.

>> The only situation this doesn't allow is copying from drivewire disks
>> to superIDE/cf disks in BASIC.  In OS9, you can do this easily.  There
>> is a way to mount your DECB disk partition under OS9 and then copy the
>> DriveWire disks to CF slots, which would solve the problem if I could
>> figure out how to make that trick work :)
>
> I have a 256meg CF card split between os9 and hdbdos and spent some time trying
> to figure out how to access the hdbdos "virtual disks" on the CF card from os9
> but quickly got confused and the got a headache just before giving up. I also
> didn't spend a lot of time trying and I may be making it harder then it really
> is.

I have a similar configuration and eventually gave up on this too.  It
would be nice to have, but I just never figured it out.  I ended up
using dd on a linux box to dump the contents of the CF card, writing
disk images directly into the image, and rewriting it to the card.
It's been a while but I think that's what I did at least.

> Alas, the reason I want to be able to access drivewire and my CF card at the
> same time is so I can copy files between my CF card and .dsk files on my pc via
> drivewire. Having to go through floppies is a pain but it works. One of these
> days I'm going to spend some time learning how to work with toolshed so I can
> use that. I'd also like to spend some time working with the ramdrive that I seem
> to remember is included with hdbdos. If that doesn't get destroyed when
> switching from the ide version of hdbdos to drivewire that may be a solution.

I'm not sure if the ram drive would survive the rom switch or not.
I'm also not sure if the toolshed would help you with this issue.  I
think your options are to either to use OS9 (get the mount working) or
access the CF card from the PC and manipulate it there.   I'll see
what the toolshed can do to help there.. if it doesn't have something
maybe I should add a utility for doing that, wouldn't mind having such
a thing myself.