[Coco] What would a CoCo successor have to have as a minimum?

Rob Rosenbrock rob.coco at zaphod.tzo.com
Tue Nov 23 02:28:03 EST 2010

I "reverse engineered" a few arcade games for the MAME project, and I can appreciate the specialized design of the hardware. The games I worked on were mostly based on the 6809 cpu, but the video generation was accomplished with nothing but 74xx series logic gates.

Using shared memory, the program running on the 6809 could describe a 256x256 screen using a much smaller matrix. A single byte in that matrix would be decoded (much like the video circuitry on the Mod I) to data stored in a ROM describing a tile. By adjusting a counter offset, scrolling was achieved. And by duplicating the circuitry, 4 layers of graphics were achieved while accomplishing a sprite-like effect.

The hardware is designed so that the cpu doesn't have to do much regarding what is seen on the monitor. The cpu has enough of a burden handling the npcs. (Visible once many are on the screen at once.)